Jim Torrens, M.A.
Associate Marriage and Family Therapist #129458
Supervised by Eric Koblenz,
As a therapist, I have found a calling that allows me to bring my full self – head, heart, and spirit – to my work. It is an honor and a privilege to be invited into my clients’ lives and to help them deepen their understanding and acceptance of themselves and discover their own capacity for change.
I found this calling later in life, after a fulfilling career in social services. Originally trained as a high school English teacher, I have worked as a teacher, researcher, policy advocate, peer counselor, and program manager. I have also married, raised a family, coached youth sports, and pursued my interest in mindful self-care, creativity, and personal growth.
The son of a social worker and a university professor, I grew up in a household where psychological insight, education, social justice, and service to others were highly valued. Perhaps as a result of my experiences with depression and anxiety, I also developed a deep capacity for listening and empathy, which I consider the foundations of my work.
Please contact me to discuss how I can support you.
- Associate Marriage and Family Therapist #129458
- Supervised by Eric Koblenz, LMFT #84331
- M.A., Counseling Psychology, The Wright Institute (2021)
- B.A., English and American Literature and Language, Harvard University (1991)
- Undergraduate Teacher Education Program, Harvard University (1991)
Clinical Work Experience
- Marina Counseling Center, Associate Marriage and Family Therapist (2021-present)
- Marina Counseling Center, Practicum Trainee (2020-2021)
- Mental Health Association of San Francisco, Peer Counselor (2020-2021)
- California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- San Francisco Chapter, California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists